Sunday, February 22, 2009

Dinner Time!

I am trying to be healthier and cook more at home. I take Byetta which helps with my Insulin Resistance, and the best way to describe Byetta is that it's kind of like a gastric bypass without the surgery. I have to take it by injection and when I take the shot, it tells my brain "she's going to eat." Well, I also take Metformin or Glucophage. Insulin Resistance is a crazy thing that the body does. I'm classified as "pre-diabetes" which means that if I don't shape up soon, I'm going to be a full blown diabetic. Not something that sounds appealing to me.
Anyways, IR is wierd in the way that my pancreas is producing a steady stream of insulin. In a healthy body, the pancreas produces a drip. My pancreas produces more because my body doesn't recognize when insulin is being released in the blood stream. So, when I eat, my pancreas produces EVEN MORE insulin. Bet you didn't think you were going to get a science lesson today, did ya?
Okay, back to the Byetta...when I take it, it tells my pancreas that I'm going to eat soon (you have to eat within one hour of injection or it's ineffective). What that does is kind of puts a plug into my pancreas to stop or dramatically decrease the production of insulin. A side effect of Byetta is weight loss. This is a side effect that I am willing to live with!
The Glucophage that I take helps my body to accept and process and use the insulin that my body is making. Taking these two drugs has really helped me to feel soooo much better! Almost 2 years ago, I was feeling really REALLY tired all the time. I suddenly gained about 30 pounds in about a months time and I was not a happy camper. With my family history of diabetes and IR, I decided to get tested and here I am today! Since starting the Byetta, I've lost about 15 pounds and I feel sooo much better!
SO, I'm making dinners and lunches at home and taking them with me to work - because working and eating at Olive Garden isn't a great way to lose weight....I know, weird, right? The reason I even write about dinner time, is because I made a YUMMY beef stew today and my sister Brittany and her fiance' Shaun are coming over to eat it and I can't wait because it smells SO delicious! I wish they'd hurry up with the smell-o-vision so you could all smell what it smells like!
This is a very random post, I know.
The End.
Happy Oscar Night to everyone! Good Luck to the late Heath Ledger!

1 comment:

Jay and Rochelle said...

wow, sorry to hear about the pre-diabetes. it's a curse we have to live with! i would LOVE to see you guys! i miss seeing my family and i won't be coming this summer, so this would be a great treat! i could get some tickets to the spring training game (one of them) and i know this really good place for shaved ice (not your regular) in Mesa! I live just off of the 303 and Van Buren. once you see the map you will get an idea where i live.