Friday, November 7, 2008

So Many Options!

Here I am, at 25, at what appears to be a crossroads of life. I have in front of me many options to choose from.

Do I continue on with my current job at Olive Garden to become a corporate trainer and a manager - and maybe one day a Director or a Regional Training Director? That option seems the safest and the past of least resistance...it's all laid out in front of me. All I have to do is put in some time. However, this path would also allow me to travel - all over the region, the country, and maybe even one day to ITALY! Hmm...sounds appealing...

The next option is school. Having been in and out of school since I graduate high school - I find myself with nothing more than a few credits averaging a 2.5 GPA and a Dental Assisting Certificate. I feel lame at not having the education that I should have. I credit this to a few things:

#1 - I'm a slacker and sometimes I'm REALLY lazy - I know you're all in shock right now - It'll be okay...

#2 - Work - I tend to be a workaholic. I believe that it is really a sickness. I don't know that it can be treated by medication, but I think therapy might help...

#3 - Boys - Need I say more? Boys are a total distraction - especially when they have BEAUTIFUL red-headed daughters that love and adore you.



As I look at all of these "credits," I realize that they are nothing more than EXCUSES. I am 25 for crying out loud!

Okay, so having moved past the excuses part, I look at what I will do with the rest of my life. What should I do?

*Olive Garden - it's here - I have a career...

*Elementary Eduaction - A long time dream of mine...

*Dental Hygiene - A great job with great hours and pay...

The choices don't stop here! I have just realized that I have a great gift - I have the power to choose! I can create my own destiny! I can choose to continue this career path that I am on, or I can go back to school and have that "college experience" that I missed out on in my early college years.

I feel so powerful! I am in control! I know that I can only get out of my education what I put into it - and so far, it hasn't been much, unfortunately. I can do ANYTHING that I WANT TO! How amazing of a gift.

Instead of wishing that I had realized this earlier on, why don't I take this precious gift and make the most of it NOW. I can have my great education by the time I'm 30. After all, 30 is the new 20 - right? Or were "they" lying?

Writing this post has given me clarity, and hope. I know that I need to finish my education. I need to do what is best for me - and not what makes other people happy.

Now, if I could just figure out what to major in...Oh well, another day.

2 comments:

Renee said...

Ash you CAN do anything that you want. Don't worry about the here and now, decide what you want and then make it happen. I'm convinced that the little details in between aren't all that important and they shouldn't be worried about. Just go for your degree and enjoy what life has to offer you! You rock and I love you no matter what!

~Michaela said...

Oh my, that sounds like me.... If only I could decide on what I wanted to to, then I could get it done.