Thursday, November 27, 2008

Pay It Forward

We had the best experience today when we went out for our Thanksgiving Dinner. We were going to go eat dinner on the Army Base with Mitch, but he was sick of eating chow at the Base. So, we took a short walk to Cracker Barrel and decided that that was the closest we would get to a home cooked meal. As we were waiting for our table, Mitch and I were playing checkers outside and just having fun.
Then, a man came up to Mitch and asked what rank he was. Mitch responded "I'm a private." The man then said, "I wanted to have the honor to shake your hand. It's a real privelege to meet you. I am a Vietnam Veteran and I wanted to thank you for all that you are doing for our country." I was so touched. It was so sweet that it brought tears to my eyes. I thought it was so cool! Little did I know, it was about to get even more heartwarming.
We had just sat down and ordered our Thanksgiving meals when this woman came up to our table and said, "Excuse me, I would like to thank this young man for his service to our country and I would like to buy his meal." It was so sweet and wonderful! I started crying right then and there! She was so sweet and humble and she said that she had been looking for someone's meal to buy today and saw Mitchell in his uniform and felt that she should buy his meal. I was so touched. It was the best feeling ever! And she put a $20 on the table and walked away.
It got me thinking that I would like to do more things like that to pay it forward. Things like buying meals for servicemen and women. Helping out people more often, and just being more thoughtful and have better manners towards our brothers and sisters - no matter where they are from and who they are. I feel blessed to have been witness to such a wonderful experience. That feeling will never leave my heart. It has truly made me feel so happy and blessed.
One woman's kindness will never be forgotten and it won't be in vain. I will be doing more things to make this world a better place - one good deed at a time. It is truly a day to give thanks.
Happy Thanksgiving.

2 comments:

Sarah J said...

wow ashley thats so awesome!!! i got tears in my eyes reading what those people said to your brother! wow! :)
p.s. i added you to my blog! i'm glad i was on yours :) thanks! hehe

~Michaela said...

Hey Ash! I hadn't come across your blog before. It's great to find another good blogger. What a cute blog you have! You know what this means... consider yourself tagged on the 16 random things. Oh and thanks for the tip on IR, but I've had it checked and I'm okay. Looking forward to stalking your blog :)