Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Preston is Here!

Almost a month later, I am finally updating our blog! It's hard to believe that Baby Preston will be four weeks old on Saturday! Carl and I have had so much fun with him! We love our baby boy so much!
2 Days Old - Already sick of pictures
Preston joined our family on Saturday, August 27, 2011. He wasn't due until September 5, and my doctors were thinking he was going to be a mammoth baby, so I was scheduled for an induction (or a C-section depending on the results of a future ultrasound) on Wednesday, August 31.

On Saturday the 27th, I woke up at 3:45 AM with a charlie horse in my calf. This was not an uncommon occurance, so I jumped out of bed to straighten out my leg. And it was then that I discovered that my water had broken! I woke up Carl - and whispered "Honey! I think my water just broke!" Carl's parents were staying with us that night - and we were trying to be quiet during all of this. Now, since I was scheduled for an induction, we had never discussed with my doctor what to do if my water broke! I hadn't even packed a hospital bag yet! So, I called the hospital and talked with a nurse on the Labor and Delivery floor. She said it sounded like my water had broken, and we decided that we would head up to the hospital. We showered and packed a bag and snuck downstairs. We didn't have the carseat installed in the car either - all of these things that we didn't have done were going to be done that day...just a lot earlier than we had planned! So we grabbed the car seat and were sneaking out the door, when Joe (Carl's dad) asks, "Are you two headed to the hospital?" We both said yes! We were so excited!

Checking in at the Hospital
Getting settled in

We arrived at the hospital around 5:45 AM and the nurse confirmed that my water had broken and I was admitted to the hospital! We were on our way to having our baby! Our nurse came on shift at 6 AM and her name was Rachelle - and she was AWESOME! I was nervous about having Preston this particular weekend because the doctor that was on-call from my doctor's office was one that I had never met before. His name was Dr. Harling. He was called in and showed up around 7:30. It turns out, I had nothing to worry about! Dr. Harling was wonderful!

Our awesome view from the L&D room




Dr. Harling ordered the Pitocin and I was all hooked up and IV'd by 9:00. I wasn't having any hard contractions, so I was feeling pretty good! Dr. Harling ordered an ultrasound and we got to see Preston one last time before he was born. They estimated that he weighed about 8.5 pounds from that ultrasound, so Dr. Harling thought it would be worth it to try and avoid the C-Section. I told him that I was fine with whatever, just as long as it was safe for Preston.

My sweet Carl <3
The day wore on, and I was happy as a clam until about 1. Dr. Harling came in and checked me, and I was only at a 2! I was starting to feel the contractions more by this point, but they were still manageable. The doctor said he would come back about 2 hours later to check me again and see if I was ready for an epidural. About an hour later, I told Rachelle that I couldn't wait until 3 for Dr. Harling to come back. The contractions were getting really strong and really close together. She called Dr. Harling back in and he checked me again. A 3. I was going nowhere fast. He did say that I could have the epidural though - those words were music to my ears!

It was exhausting!
As time passed, Carl and I napped and my mom and Byron came up to visit. We had so many phone calls and texts throughout the day - it was so wonderful to see all the excitement for Preston!

Right before surgery
Around 6:30 PM, Dr. Harling came in and checked me again. I hadn't progressed at all since 3:00. At this point, Preston's heart rate was dipping with each contraction. That, coupled with the fact that I was still only dilated to a three 15 hours after labor started led Dr. Harling to recommend a C-Section. I agreed. After I consented to the procedure - things really started moving! I signed a few papers, got prepped for the surgery and Carl and Byron gave me a blessing. Dr. Harling called in Dr. Meredith (yay!) to assist with the surgery. I remember Dr. Harling coming back into my room with a Diet Mt. Dew. He was ready to go!

Just after Preston was born!
Wonderful nurses working on Preston
I was wheeled into the OR at 7:59 PM. Carl was able to come in with me. As we were behind the curtain, the nurse anesthetist was giving us a play-by-play of what was happening. He was so great! Carl got to look just as they were pulling Preston out! Preston was born at 8:19 PM. Dr. Meredith held Preston over the curtain so I could see him. He was so cute! And purple. He was holding his breath. The nurses whisked him through the window to the NICU where they worked on him for all of 30 seconds before he started breathing. Carl was able to go peek through the window and watch what was happening - all while I was asking questions about Preston. Then, Carl got to go be with our baby while they cleaned him up.

Cute Baby!!!
Preston James
After I was all stitched up, I was brought to the recovery room. I had to wait for about 15 minutes for Preston to be brought it. My mom and Byron were there, along with Carl's parents. We were all so excited to see Preston! Carl came in about 10 minutes after I was brought in, and he told me that Preston was on his way! I think I remember Carl holding a root beer - and I was super jealous.


Our first family photo


When they brought Preston in the room I couldn't wait to hold him! He was so tiny! My "giant" baby ended up weighing only 8 pounds 10 ounces (some would say that's big - but hey, I was expecting a 10 pounder!), and he was so perfect. He was all bundled up and his little head was so cute! Lots of dark hair, and the cutest little lips I've ever seen. Then he cried - it was SO sweet!
Tiny Preston with Daddy
We have had such a fun time with Preston! He is a great addition to our family, and we love him so much!

1 comment:

Renee said...

I hope you know how absolutely amazing you are! You are a wonderful mommy and Preston is lucky to have you and Carl for parents! We love you guys more than you know!